Still ...


Two passages of scripture.  They are so simple and contain so much promise … yet to implement them into my life is rather challenging.

Psalm 46:10
Be still and know that I am God.  I will be exalted among the nations; I will be exalted in the earth!

Be still ….

The Hebrew word means to sink down, to relax, withdraw … to let drop or abandon … to let go.  The term signifies the act of ceasing from something, of letting go.  The NASB version reads, Cease striving.

This is one of the hardest things to do… to let go – to lay down all of our busy-ness, and relax in quietness.  Because to lay it down is to admit that it’s not quite as important as we think it is!

Psalm 62:1-2
My soul waits in silence for God only; from Him is my salvation.  He only is my rock and my salvation, my stronghold; I shall not be greatly shaken. 

Wait in silence …

If we are actually able to be still, then we must wait.  In silence.

This, too, is unnatural.  We feel the need to fill the silence with our words.  I believe it must take a great deal of discipline to experience the promise in these verses.

And what is the promise? 

·         We will know God.  Not just be acquainted with.  The word is “yada” in the Hebrew, and refers to relational knowledge – perceived knowledge – knowledge gained by experience.  God reveals Himself to the heart that is quiet and still.

·         We will not be greatly shaken.  We might be shaken a little … but we will not be greatly shaken.  Shaken means to totter, to slip, to be moved.  Perhaps the measure by which we are “shaken” is in direct proportion to how still and quiet we are able to be?

·         We will see God’s glory – because He will be exalted.  Exalted is a word meaning to raise or to lift up, literally raised up high.  Interesting that it is the opposite of what is to happen to us – we are to sink down, withdraw.  It is only then that His glory is seen. 

·         We experience God as our stronghold…our rock…our salvation.   I love that God is not our rock and our stronghold as a result of our willingness to wait … to be silent.  He already is.  The waiting … the silence … is the result of realizing His salvation – of understanding that He alone is our stronghold.  Who else is worthy to wait for?

Is this practical?  Can we really experience what it means to be still … to wait in silence?

I think it’s a worthwhile effort.  I know my heart and soul longs to be intimately aware of the presence of God.  I know that I am tired of the noise around me, and that I crave what these verses describe.

Stop talking …
Stop striving …
And we will see His glory …


Comments

Popular Posts