Psalm 119 - A Treasure Trove



One of my favorite psalms is also the longest psalm – Psalm 119.  It sits practically in the center of the Bible.  It’s written in true poetic style, an aphabetic acrostic.  The first letters of each line follow through the alphabet, in the original Hebrew.  There are eight lines for each of the 22 letters, totaling 176 lines.

This psalm provides a rich treasure of the work of the Word of God in a person’s life.  It emphasizes that the Word must be loved, obeyed, remembered, waited for, spoken of, held to, and kept.  The principles of life in this psalm apply to every other portion of God’s Word.  The themes in Psalm 119 are similar to other psalms, such as trust, obedience, praise and worship, but the object of those themes is the Word of God itself, where in other psalms it is God Himself that is to be trusted, obeyed, and praised. 

Verses 33-35 are among my favorites:
Teach me, O LORD, the way of Your statutes, and I shall observe it to the end.  Give me understanding, that I may observe Your law and keep it with all my heart.  Make me walk in the paths of Your commandments, for I delight in it. (verses 33-35)

God’s part is to teach me, give me understanding, and make me walk in His paths.
My part is to observe, keep and delight in His Word!

Psalm 119 is very practical.  In honor of the “eights” in this psalm, here are eight practical applications of the word of God to our life.

·         The word keeps us from sin.
v. 11 – Your word have I treasured in my heart, that I may not sin against You.
v. 133 – Establish my footsteps in Your word, and do not let any iniquity have dominion over me.

·         The word keeps us from reproach and contempt.
v. 22 – Take away reproach and contempt from me, for I observe Your testimonies.

·         The word gives us good counsel, and brings us joy.
v. 23-24 – Even though princes sit and talk against me, Your servant meditates on Your statues.  Your testimonies also are my delight; they are my counselors.

·         The word revives and strengthens us when we are discouraged.
v. 25,28 – My soul cleaves to the dust; revive me according to Your word.  … My soul weeps because of grief; strengthen me according to Your word.

·         The word produces a reverence for God.
v. 38 – Establish Your word to Your servant, as that which produces reverence for You.

·         The word makes us wise.
v. 98-99 – Your commandments make me wiser than my enemies, for they are ever mine.  I have more insight than all my teachers, for Your testimonies are my meditation.
v. 130 – The unfolding of Your words gives light; it gives understanding to the simple.

·         The word gives us direction for life.
v. 105 – Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.

·         The word gives us peace.
v. 165 – Those who love Your law have great peace, and nothing causes them to stumble.

God’s Word is truly a “treasure-trove!”

Are you struggling with sin?
Do you need direction for life?
Are you full of anxiety and worry?
Do you need revival, a fresh awareness and reverence for God?
Do you need wisdom for a decision?
Are you discouraged, in need of joy?

Go to the well of His Word and drink.

Let my soul live that it may praise You, and let Your ordinances help me!  (v. 175)

Comments

Popular Posts