A Prayer For Wisdom

Image Source: http://pickenselections.org/2015/11/25/2016-presidential-preference-primary-election-notice/

Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a disgrace to any people.  Proverbs 14:34

Today is the day to vote for our presidential candidate in North Carolina.  I am thankful for a free country, where we actually get to vote and can be pretty confident that our votes will be counted fairly and accurately. 

I’m quite dismayed at the impact of media on the political process.  It seems that candidates are chosen (or dismissed) before any ballots are cast, based on “survey says.”  If you’re like me, you’re probably wondering if your vote even matters. 

If I were running things (scary thought!), there would be one week before the actual vote in November where candidates could take the media stage and declare his/her platform.  No one would be allowed to comment on any other candidate; the only thing they would be able to say would be their own thoughts and ideas on whatever issue they wanted to address.  There would be nation-wide coverage of their speeches, and if they wanted to fund their own “town meetings,” they could do so.  There would be a cap on how much money could be spent on a political campaign, and it would be low enough so that anyone could run, and the playing field would be level.   Limited time, limited media, limited money.  No electoral college or delegate votes – just one vote per person, majority wins.  But that’s just my opinion.

I will cast my vote today, and I am praying for wisdom.  I am grateful to serve a sovereign God who holds our nation in His hands.  I do not place my trust in any candidate or person holding an office.  I know who really is in control, and I trust His sovereign attention to the details of our lives.

Here’s some encouragement for today.

Daniel said, “Let the name of God be blessed forever and ever, for wisdom and power belong to Him.  It is He who changes the times and the epochs; He removes kings and establishes kings; He gives wisdom to wise men and knowledge to men of understanding.  It is He who reveals the profound and hidden things; He knows what is in the darkness, and the light dwells with Him.  To You, O God of my fathers, I give thanks and praise, for You have given me wisdom and power; even now You have made known to me what we requested of You, for You have made known to us the king’s matter.”  Daniel 2:20-23

Let’s pray for wisdom, pray for God’s hand to move, and trust Him with our nation.  He is able to change the course of a nation and set in place a godly leader.  I still believe that.

Comments

Popular Posts